[coreboot] [Qemu-devel] Release plan for 0.12.0

Anthony Liguori aliguori at us.ibm.com
Sun Oct 4 21:35:31 CEST 2009

Jordan Justen wrote:
>> So you want QEmu as a marketing device - nothing wrong with saying that,
>> right?
>>

> I'm not in marketing. :)  But, I do work for Intel, on tianocore.org
> and thus UEFI.  I've been working with Tiano/EFI since ~2003, when
> Intel started converting its desktop motherboards over to a Tiano code
> base.  So yes, I have a bias.
>
> I think (but no, I cannot back this up) that tens of millions of UEFI
> compatible motherboards are shipping out each year now.  Microsoft has
> implemented UEFI support in Vista and Win7.  Several Linux vendor have
> or are enabling UEFI support now.  Mac OS X implements UEFI.
>
> My point?  Well, while I think QEMU support for UEFI is still valuable
> to help support UEFI adoption, I think it could have done a lot more
> for UEFI if it was done several years ago. :)

Many major vendors (like IBM) are starting to ship (and will eventually
exclusively ship) UEFI firmwares.  Hardware, particularly the kind
targeted at higher end systems, will eventually start to assume the
presence of EFI.  If we want to support PCI passthrough of these
devices, then we'll have to support EFI in some form.

--
Regards,

Anthony Liguori