[coreboot] SPD sanity check

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 18:53:44 CEST 2009

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 4:53 AM, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger
<c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> wrote:

> decode-dimms (or decode-dimms.pl) from lm-sensors is extremely useful
> for this. Run it on a working system and it will dump the content of all
> SPDs and show the meaning of the values stored there.

The lm_sensors tools are handy when everything is working fine.
They're not when things are not. In my case, things are not and,
sadly, the tools are largely useless -- I'm going to have to write my
own.

I can run this on the dell, and the decode-dimms will gladly tell me
there is no memory. Bummer! :-)

A further problem is the lm_sensors guys don't always understand Unix
(a common problem nowadays :-) or decode-dimms would be two tools:
1. get_spd
2. decode_spd

which would make part 2 independent of part 1. Then, I could easily
feed my output from serialice into decode_spd and have it say "WOW!
That's bogus!".

Maybe as part of this I can bust decode-dimms into two pieces as well ...

thanks, though, my goal is to have decode-dimms work well on the dell.
Hopefully won't take too long ...

ron