[coreboot] seabios - long delays detecting disks

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Sat May 16 05:32:37 CEST 2009

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 11:37:56AM -0400, Ward Vandewege wrote:
> you can see that seabios is having a hard time on this mcp55 detecting
> controllers/disks:
[...]
> ata0-0: PIONEER DVD-RW  DVR-111D ATAPI-5 CD-Rom/DVD-Rom
> powerup iobase=1f0 st=50
> powerup iobase=1f0 st=0
> ata_detect drive=1 sc=55 sn=aa dh=b0
> send_cmd : read error (status=01 err=04)
> IDE time out

Ughh.  It looks like your cdrom is out of spec (or very confused).

I'm assuming you have just a cdrom on the first controller (as the
first drive).  If so, it should be returning zeros when we probe the
second drive of the first controller - however it appears to be
responding to the registers.

Because seabios thinks something is present on the second drive, it
tries to identify it.  The packet identify command fails ("send_cmd :
read error"), and then seabios waits for the RDY signal so that it can
send a normal identify command.  However, RDY never becomes available
and SeaBIOS times out 30 seconds later.

Anyone have suggestions on a more robust drive detect routine?

-Kevin