[coreboot] [flashrom] report error on flashrom read

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Fri May 15 12:10:44 CEST 2009

On 15.05.2009 04:21, Peter Stuge wrote:
> You seem to full-quote very often though. It helps (not just me;
> everyone!) if you trim the quotes. Also in patch reviews. Thanks.

Sure, I'll watch my quote length in the future.

> I tried to explain that I think opt-in would be better.

How about opt-out for reading (which is non-destructive) before
writing/erasing and opt-in for automatic restore?

The read-before-write would allow flashrom to determine the exact state
of flash, e.g how many blocks differ from original/new content, are they
erased or random garbage.

My goal is telling the user more about what went wrong.
"Erase failed partially, blocks xxx-yyy still have original content,
blocks zzz are erased."
"Erase failed completely, the flash chip is unchanged."

That both helps us assess the situation and may avoid panic in the
"flash chip is unchanged" case.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--