[coreboot] cbfs XIP patch

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Tue May 5 17:43:37 CEST 2009

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 8:36 AM, Myles Watson <mylesgw at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 9:33 AM, ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com> wrote:

>> So this scenario requires that we have two cbfs file headers, and data
>> somewhere else, not necessarily contiguous with the
>> header. Does the cbfstool currently create this kind of image?
> I don't think so.

I don't think it does either.

> I think CBFS requires the header to be contiguous with the data.  We
> could change it, but that seems like a fundamental redesign.

Agreed.

> It would be easier to walk if all the headers were contiguous.

Agreed. But then you have to leave room somewhere for all possible
headers, which means you have to reserve part of flash for headers
only, which is something I would rather not do.

Many of the proposed changes will result in balooning cbfs code, which
I think we should avoid. I'm not even sure that arbitrary file name
lengths (which we have now) are a good idea :-)

ron