[coreboot] Set Top Boxes and composite (!) video out

Joseph Smith joe at settoplinux.org
Fri May 1 06:19:25 CEST 2009

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 23:53:33 -0400, "Gregg C Levine"
<hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> Hello!
> Joseph I've been following your progress regarding these examples, both
on
> your site, and here.
>
> I have some to ask question: First; have you gotten to the point of being
> able to present any composite video out on that connector?

Yes we recently made some real break through's with intelfb in Linux, we
figured we should get it running in Linux first and then it will be
coreboot time, and it should be relatively simple to turn it into coreboot
code.

> Second; where did you obtain these units? Every time I check Amazon for
> them
> I get shocked by the prices they are quoting, it's as if they are trying
> sell me a brand new never been opened first edition of something.
>
> And yes I'll accept an answer off list if you feel that's best.

Funny. I remember when we first started hacking the RM4100, you could buy
them on eBay for less than 5 dollars, too a lot of people they were just
paper weights if they didn't want to pay the outrageous monthly
subscription fee, then word got out that you could run Linux on them and
then prices shot way up. Well, I would say the best places are eBay,
Amazon, and Overstock.com, If you keep your eye out you could probably find
one for under 50 dollars. I won't mention some of the other names they sell
under but if you look on my site you will find them mentioned.

If your interested there is a guy on my site that is selling a box he
started hacking (he just added a vga connector) for 10 dollars plus
shipping:
http://www.settoplinux.org/index.php?title=Special:AWCforum&action=st%2Fid58%2Fmy_RM4100_for_sale.

--
Thanks,