[coreboot] Soldering a socket on your board

Joseph Smith joe at settoplinux.org
Sat Mar 28 00:41:04 CET 2009

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 23:07:59 +0100, Peter Stuge <peter at stuge.se> wrote:
> Yes, the page looks really good. Thanks a lot Uwe!
>
> Joseph Smith wrote:
>> The foil really helps to absorb the heat so nothing else except
>> the chip heats up. I have one that I need to do,
>
> Some general electronics advice: Be careful with the heat. In general
> components are never rated for exposed to temperatures over 200 C for
> more than a few seconds as the temperature profiles in data sheets
> show. There are usually limits on safe temperature rise and fall
> times as well. LEDs are the most sensitive I've seen so far, but
> nothing likes 400 C very well.
>
> I would not expect the chip to function well after heated to 370.

Yes, heat on electronics is like a swear word.... bad :-(
Maybe I'm lucky, but I have never fried a chip using the foil and heat gun
method (and I have done alot).
The trick is to blow the heat at an angle to the side of the chip at the
solder joints going around and around in a circle. Never directly on top.
If that makes sense.

>> If I get time this weekend I will do it and take some picks if you
>> want.
>
> In any case I think that would be great!

Ok, will do.

--
Thanks,
Joseph Smith