[coreboot] prettyprint for hardware registers

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Sun Mar 22 16:00:02 CET 2009

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> Could this be something useful for us, especially considering it
> looks like a combination of msrtool, inteltool etc?
> I'd like to make sure we don't reinvent the wheel here.
..
> http://code.google.com/p/prettyprint/

I had a chat with the lead developer (Tim IIRC) at Google. There is a
certain overlap in functionality but I for one really like our
approach with many simpler tools rather than one tool to rule them
all.

C++ isn't so hot, but that's not really important. Their FUSE idea is
kinda cool.

Some good some bad. At this point I think a little competition is ok.

I don't think we have much overlap in hardware support right now, and
codifying+verifying registers should take more time than writing the
engine no matter which tool we're talking about.

//Peter