[coreboot] [solved] Re: [Flashrom] No EEPROM/flash device found. on Syntax SV266A

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Mar 21 18:57:38 CET 2009

Am Sonntag, den 22.03.2009, 01:28 +0800 schrieb FENG Yu Ning:
> Paul Menzel wrote:
> > Right. Removing the sticker sure helps. Atmel AT49F002NT is written on
> > the chip, which is supposed to be supported by Flashrom.
> >
> > test.rom also has not only null written to it, so it seems to be
> > working.
> >
> > What could be done, that the chip is auto-detected?
> >
> > Anything else I can do?
>
> Since the reported IDs differ from those(id1 = 1Fh, id2 = 08h) in
> datasheet of AT49F002NT, I am not sure whether access to the flash is
> properly done. Let's do some investigation before going further.
>
> You may want to take a closer look at test.rom.
> * How do the first few bytes look like? Do they look like magic
> numbers(0xff00, 0x55aa, ..)?

What is the correct command for doing this. hexdump first lines look
like

0000000 e425 6c2d 3568 6f2d 0129 0000 0200 0000
0000010 0000 2050 0c01 3632 6136 3333 3632 422e

> * What are the instructions located at (top - 0x10)? Is it a cache
> disable instruction followed by a jump?

Sorry, could you give me a link (article, lecture notes?) for this, so I
can read this up.

> * Try `strings' of binutils. See if you can find board information and
> strings appearing in the BIOS setup screen, etc..

Strings shows something useful.

-lh5-o)
266a3326.BIN
[…]
7Phoenix Technologies, LTD
6.00 PG
03/26/2003
VIA Technologies, Inc.
VT8367-8235
VT8367-8235
Socket A
AMD Athlon(tm) XP
Internal Cache
External Cache
PRIMARY IDE
SECONDARY IDE
COM1
COM2
LPT1
Keyboard
PS/2 Mouse
USB0
[…]

> If yes, then we have a special AT49F002NT. Adding auto-detecting for
> the chip should be trival. Otherwise, we will have to head towards the
> other direction, to see what we can do with the super IO chip.

Well it looks like we are lucky and it is the first alternative.

> Maybe there are other things to be taken into account, but I can only
> think of the aboves with my limited knowledge.

Thank you for your answer and great instructions!!!

Please tell what else I can do.

Thanks,

Paul