[coreboot] Strange failure - help?

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Wed Mar 18 23:33:21 CET 2009

On 18.03.2009 21:08 Uhr, ron minnich wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 12:48 PM, Ward Vandewege <ward at gnu.org> wrote:
>

>> Confirmed, removing -fomit-frame-pointer fixes the boot with FILO.
>>

> so you might want to look at the filo entry point and see if it
> expecting some reasonable value in %ebp. If so, we can probably fix
> the boot code to always set something sane in %ebp, no matter how
> coreboot is compiled.
>
> Really, though, I don't think coreboot runs for a long enough time
> that omitting frame pointers is a huge performance win. It would just
> be nice to confirm WHY this is happening.
>
> ron

I think we're doing this because of code size rather than speed.

       -fomit-frame-pointer
           Don't keep the frame pointer in a register for functions that
don't
           need one.  This avoids the instructions to save, set up and
restore
           frame pointers; it also makes an extra register available in many
           functions.
           [...]
           Enabled at levels -O, -O2, -O3, -Os.

The reason I brought this into v2 is that the "so much cooler" v3 has
been using it for quite a while ;-)

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613