[coreboot] Several closed trac tickets

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Tue Mar 17 00:41:44 CET 2009

Hi,

coreboot wrote:
> #23: Use Doxygen-style comments
>
>   * status:  new => closed
>   * resolution:  => fixed
>
>  This is part of the documentation chapter of the coding guidelines.
>  No changes to the ticket in a year, and it seems to be a place holder.
>  Closing it for now.

Closing tickets solely because of lack of activity in the tracker
undermines the ticket status property IMO, and I think such status
changes should be avoided.

Just because an issue has not been fixed in a long time that does not
mean that we never want to fix it, right? It also does not make the
original issue invalid.

I think ticket status is one of the more important, if not the most
important, features in trac but it's only good if actually used to
track reality. :)

Also, closing tickets based on inactivity in the tracker makes little
sense when there is almost zero activity in the tracker anyway. By
extension we should then close all tickets, which in turn means that
we can not use a tracker at all. I don't agree with that at all. I
think trac is very good and it can be most useful. I don't want to be
without it for flashrom and msrtool.

Maybe one reason why noone uses trac is that their tickets end up
being closed without receiving much discussion? It's just a guess,
but at least for #85 I certainly consider it important for us to get
that small detail right. It can be thought of as polish and one might
say that polish is minor, but in fact it is quite important also for
a firmware product.

//Peter