[coreboot] Lemote Yeeloong

bari bari at onelabs.com
Sun Mar 15 20:16:38 CET 2009

yhlu wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 11:52 AM, David Hendricks
> <david.hendricks at gmail.com <mailto:david.hendricks at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 11:29 AM, Jason Self <jason.self at gmail.com
>     <mailto:jason.self at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         There is a fully free software laptop with free software BIOS,
>          firmware,  driver,  kernel,  software,  operating system. It is
>         called Lemote Yeeloong. You can see it here:
>
>         http://www.lemote.com/english/yeeloong.html
>
>         More pics here: http://www.sorbaioli.org/photos/lemote_yeeloong/
>
>         and buy it here:
>         www.tekmote.nl <http://www.tekmote.nl>
>
>         The gNewSenseToMips group just ported gNewSense to the mipsel
>         architecture to make it run on the Yeeloong. A forum member
>         posted the output of lspci here:
>         http://www.lemote.com/bbs/viewthread.php?tid=19271&extra=page%3D1
>         <http://www.lemote.com/bbs/viewthread.php?tid=19271&extra=page%3D1>
>
>         Has anyone used this? Could this be a good candidate for coreboot?
>
>         --
>

>     Neat laptop. I'd say Coreboot probably isn't the right choice,
>     however, since Coreboot is mostly targeted at x86/x86-64 these days.
>     I wasn't able to find where to download the firmware for this
>     laptop, but it likely uses U-Boot, which is a great free firmware core.
>
>     With or without Coreboot, it's definitely nice to see more FOSS
>     friendly laptops out there!
>

> it is MIPS based cpu...

There are several ARM Cortex A8 SOC laptops shipping soon that use the
TI OMAP 3530
http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/omap3530.html

or Freescale i.MX515
http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=i.MX515&nodeId=0162468rH3114329735CEC

Always Innovating Touch Book - to ship in late Spring, starts at $300

Freescale touts Android on ARM netbook design

They use u-boot and are almost all open source except for the powerVR
GPU libraries.
http://www.imgtec.com/PowerVR/powervr-graphics.asp

I've heard that Nokia is trying to get Imagination Technologies to open
source the libs.

-Bari