[coreboot] seaBIOS config options "for emulators"

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Sat Mar 7 01:08:49 CET 2009

On Fri, Mar 06, 2009 at 03:33:03PM -0800, Joe Julian wrote:
> You suggested, on the coreboot IRC channel, that I enable smbios in
> seabios to solve the missing mptable and RSDP problem. The reason those
> are turned off is because the comments for CONFIG_PIRTABLE,
> CONFIG_MPTABLE, COMFIG_SMBIOS, and CONFIG_ACPI all state, "for
> emulators". Since this is a bare metal install, wouldn't it be correct
> to have those options disabled since we need the real data rather than
> simulated data?

Linux, by default, wont use the acpi tables unless there is an smbios
table.  The current coreboot targets don't support building an smbios
table.  So, I programmed SeaBIOS to build a dummy smbios table when it
is used with coreboot.

It's safe to leave all of:

#define CONFIG_PIRTABLE 1
#define CONFIG_MPTABLE 1
#define CONFIG_SMBIOS 1
#define CONFIG_ACPI 1

enabled.  The SMBIOS helps convince Linux to use acpi, and the other
three (mptable, pirtable, acpi) are automatically disabled when in
coreboot mode.

-Kevin