[coreboot] LInux kernel in Flash

Mart Raudsepp mart.raudsepp at artecdesign.ee
Thu Jun 25 06:14:53 CEST 2009

On K, 2009-06-24 at 17:54 +0200, Peter Stuge wrote:
> Harald Gutmann wrote:
> > What do I need except a kernel image which has all drivers
> > compilled in?
> > What needs to be done to get this setup working?
>
> Two ways:
>
> 1. Use mkelfImage to get a payload from vmlinux
>    See http://www.coreboot.org/Mkelfimage for download info.
>
> mkelfImage -t vmlinux-i386 --kernel=~/linux-version/vmlinux --output=~/linux.elf
>
> ~/linux.elf is your payload. Add ramdisk if you like.
>

> 2. Try using vmlinux as payload directly, it might work, we don't know
>
> It would be interesting to know if vmlinux+initramfs works:
> http://www.coreboot.org/Initramfs
>

> Note that you always want to use the uncompressed vmlinux to start
> with, and enable payload LZMA compression. LZMA compresses better
> than the in-kernel compression used for bzImage.

I suppose packing twice with LZMA would make no sense either?
Having in mind that linux-2.6.30 supports LZMA for bzImage.
So kernel code would be packed twice, and the highmem kernel loader in
bzImage once for payload.

Waste of decompression time I bet myself without testing.

And thanks - good point about using vmlinux, I hadn't thought of that
before reading this thread.

Regards,
Mart Raudsepp