[coreboot] Is PI-AM2RS780G supported ?

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Wed Jun 24 18:26:38 CEST 2009

Hi Alois,

I first want to say that I agree with kernel people that this is a
BIOS issue.

Alois Schlögl wrote:
> I'm wondering whether coreboot will work in my machine.

Not coreboot, but flashrom looks good.

> Found chip "Winbond W25x80" (1024 KB) at physical address 0xfff00000.

The BIOS update you linked to in kernel bugzilla,
http://us.sapphiretech.com/drivers/78SAPV09_20090522_4854.zip,
contains a BIOS from May, with upgrades from AGESA (this is a BIOS
library from AMD) 3.3.2.0 to 3.3.2.3. I don't know if this will fix
the problem you are seeing.

You could update your BIOS using flashrom and the 78SAPV09.BIN file
in that zip. Run flashrom -E to erase your flash chip and then
flashrom -wv 78SAPV09.BIN to program and verify the new BIOS.

Ideally you should have a restore method before trying this. flashrom
-E if it works will erase the flash chip completely. If you have a
power outage at that point the system will not start again and the
flash chip must be reprogrammed somewhere/somehow else, or the
mainboard replaced.

//Peter