[coreboot] LInux kernel in Flash

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Wed Jun 24 17:54:51 CEST 2009

Harald Gutmann wrote:
> What do I need except a kernel image which has all drivers
> compilled in?
> What needs to be done to get this setup working?

Two ways:

1. Use mkelfImage to get a payload from vmlinux
   See http://www.coreboot.org/Mkelfimage for download info.

mkelfImage -t vmlinux-i386 --kernel=~/linux-version/vmlinux --output=~/linux.elf

~/linux.elf is your payload. Add ramdisk if you like.

2. Try using vmlinux as payload directly, it might work, we don't know

It would be interesting to know if vmlinux+initramfs works:
http://www.coreboot.org/Initramfs

Note that you always want to use the uncompressed vmlinux to start
with, and enable payload LZMA compression. LZMA compresses better
than the in-kernel compression used for bzImage.

//Peter