[coreboot] LInux kernel in Flash

Harald Gutmann harald.gutmann at gmx.net
Wed Jun 24 17:18:28 CEST 2009

Hello,

to get a fast boot time on my mainboard I want to stick a whole kernel-image
into my flashchip.

The idea I want to realize is to have a kernel image in the Flash which has
all drivers for my hardware compiled in.
I don't want to have a busybox environment or an X-server in the flash, but
just the kernel image.

Booting should look as follows:
* Coreboot initialization
* Payload Kernel Image (64bit)
* (sysv)init or upstart from harddrive

Advantage:
* Fast

Disadvantage:
* needs to reflash/rebuild the bios every kernel update

What do I need except a kernel image which has all drivers compilled in?
What needs to be done to get this setup working?

Kind regards,
Harald