[coreboot] Flash ROM and payload (All in the Flash ROM chip) ?

Harald Gutmann harald.gutmann at gmx.net
Wed Jun 24 16:36:37 CEST 2009

On Wednesday 24 June 2009 06:46:58 Rick Ant wrote:
> I try to install Flash ROM,
>
> but need zlib-devel and pciutils-devel,
Install the according -dev packages.
I don't know how they're called in SuSe.

> I'm using Suse 10.1,
>
> Can I install Coreboot + payload Linux without any Compact flash?
> All in the Flash ROM chip ?
Yes you can, depends on how big your flashchip is.
Flash parts are available with sizes up to 8Mb, and this would be enough space
to put a whole kernel image & busybox into it. (Maybe even a tiny x server
should be possible in 8Mb.)

> Anyone knows where to download those files ?
I don't think that there are pre-compiled images from coreboot available,
which means that you need to compile your coreboot image yourself, which is
pretty easy using buildrom-devel.

> Thanks
No problem,
regards