[coreboot] Which file should I burn?

David Hendricks david.hendricks at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 04:49:13 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 7:06 PM, Rick Ant <rick_077 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  I got this message :
> =================
> boot: hda:/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda initrd=/boot/initrd console=ttyS0
> hda: LBA48 524MB: QEMU HARDDISK
> Mounted ext2fs
> Found Linux version 2.6.16.5 (root at e-smith) #2 PREEMPT Sat Sep 22 00:14:46
> Local time zone must be set--see  bzImage.
> Jumping to entry point...
>
> ==============
> Is the coreboot working fine ? or not yet ?
> Can I write it to Compact flash for real boot ?
> How ? Which file should I burn ? the bios.bin?
>
> Thanks

Yep, Coreboot is working fine and you're squarely in kernel mode at this
point. Make sure you have all the requisite serial driver support compiled
statically into your kernel (Device Drivers --> Character Devices --> Serial
Drivers) so you can see the kernel messages.

Copy your system image to your storage media (compact flash?) as you
normally would and try it out with the vendor BIOS first to verify that the
system image + kernel work fine on real hardware. If you're comfortable with
the QEMU trial results, and you have a sane way of recovering the vendor
BIOS, use flashrom to burn the new Coreboot image to the firmware ROM.