[coreboot] Is PI-AM2RS780G supported ?

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Tue Jun 23 10:44:36 CEST 2009

Hi Alois,

On 23.06.2009 10:15, Alois Schlögl wrote:
> I'm wondering whether coreboot will work in my machine. Here is
> requested information [...]
> 1) System:
> SAPPHIRE PI-AM2RS780G, AMDx86-64 QuadCore,

I have good and bad news for you.
The good news is that your processor is supported pretty well (I think
we're hunting down one strange interaction) and the 780G/SB700
combination is being worked on.
The bad news is that we don't yet have a time estimate for when the
780G/SB700 code will be ready (it's blocked on some legal review inside
AMD).
Porting to any given board should be doable in a few weeks (or days, if
we're really lucky) after the availability of 780G/SB700 code.

We'll make sure to send out an announcement once the 780G/SB700 code (or
parts of it) has been released.

Judging from experience, the legal review happens faster if we can show
more (or more interesting) reference customers, so if you plan to use
coreboot on 780G/SB700 as part of university research, we'd tell AMD
about this immediately.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel
--