[coreboot] [patch][v2]:fam10 microcode

Ward Vandewege ward at gnu.org
Tue Jun 16 21:29:04 CEST 2009

Hi Maximilian,

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 06:11:55PM +0200, Maximilian Thuermer wrote:
> Yes, this is exactly the behaviour it is supposed to show. Also, you put
> the function call in the right place.  An observation we made with our C2
> Opterons is  that the microcode patch led the system to resets of unknown
> origin. As a matter of fact,  our machine kept on resetting at the exact
> same spot as yours. Try uncommenting the entry in the microcode lookup
> table and see how far your code gets.  The rather akward output of what
> seems to be multiple cores writing to  the serial console at the same time
> has been discussed in other threads afaik and remains  an issue to be
> solved.  Up until know, it did not keep our systems from booting and only
> seems  to be a temporary effect.

Yep, confirmed. With Marc's latest patch and the microcode disabled I get all
the way to the payload (of course there is the multi-core talking problem, as
well as the relatively slow memory init) where it hangs:

  http://ward.vandewege.net/coreboot/h8dmr/fam10/h8dmr-ao.cap

Hmm. I guess I'll need to dig a bit deeper there.

Thanks!
Ward.

--
Ward Vandewege <ward at fsf.org> Free Software Foundation - Senior Systems