[coreboot] Hosed ms-7032, I foolishly flashed the bios with a .700

Richard Smith smithbone at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 17:57:14 CEST 2009

Ward Vandewege wrote:

> and for more detail (shameless plug):
>
>   http://ward.vandewege.net/blog/2009/03/howto-replace-a-plcc-chip-with-a-socket-ghetto-style/
>
> It's not hard to do, even with moderate soldering skills.

Let me introduce you to a fantastic product.  We have been using it at
OLPC with great success.

http://www.chipquikinc.com/

[you will have to overlook the amateur web page but the product is awesome]

The issue most non-experienced (and even experienced) people have with
SMT part removal is ripping off the pads due to excessive heat and force.

Chipquik is an alloy that drops the melting point of solder to less than
150 degF.  So literally you can remove a part with a hairdryer.  Its
wonderful stuff.
All you have to do is make sure that you clean it up good so that when
you solder the part back on you don't have any chipquik left behind.

--
Richard A. Smith
smithbone at gmail.com