[coreboot] write/verify bug

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Fri Jun 12 12:52:41 CEST 2009

On 11.06.2009 22:04, ron minnich wrote:
> Boy, this discussion is getting really complicated. That's a sign that
> it is time to STOP! and think it all over :-)

Indeed. I think we even have a very old trac issue for this.

> Tools do one thing (or one thing at a time) and do it well. flashrom
> is getting radically over-engineered.
>
> Please rethink this.
>
> flashrom -e -- erase
> flashrom -r -- read
> flashrom -w -- write
> flashrom -v -- verify
>
> flashrom -any combination -- mistake

I really like this. May I humbly request we auto-verify both erase and
write operations to give the user feedback if an operation failed. Right
now it can happen that erase or write fails and the user it not told
about it.

> Otherwise, no matter how you set this up, you're going to violate
> somebody's principle of least surprise. This thread already shows how.

True. Except for speed reasons, there shouldn't be any opposition to
auto-verify. (For disabling auto-verify, a separate option could be added.)

Basically, we'd keep --verify as standalone operation, but it would be
invoked automatically for erase and write.

Thoughts? I have a patch pending for this. I'll clean it up and send.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--
http://www.hailfinger.org/