[coreboot] Hosed ms-7032, I foolishly flashed the bios with a .700

Morgan Reed morgan.s.reed at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 15:22:39 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 23:10, Ward Vandewege<ward at gnu.org> wrote:
> If you don't mind sacrificing the current chip, you could just cut it off and
> replace it with a socket. See
>
>  http://www.coreboot.org/Soldering_a_socket_on_your_board#Cutting_the_chip

Another one I've used in the past, if you're REALLY careful about it
you can use an xacto knife or similar to "liberate" the chip from the
board, essentially you push the tip of the knife into junction of the
solder and the leg you can usually "cut" the solder, solder is
relatively soft in comparison to the leg so you're usually OK on that
front (and even if you do sever the leg towards the bottom chances are
you can still use the chip in a socket) however there is more scope to
damage the tracks/pads on the mainboard (That said, I'm not sure
whether lead-free solder is as easy to "cut" as leaded solder), I used
to use this trick to safely extract RAM chips off RAM sticks to make a
double sided module out two single sided ones ;oD