[coreboot] Hosed ms-7032, I foolishly flashed the bios with a .700

Morgan Reed morgan.s.reed at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 15:12:16 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 22:51, Carl-Daniel
Hailfinger<c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> wrote:
> Yes, this would work with a bit of soldering. I looked through the data
> sheets and came up with a way to do this:
> Desolder the ID2 pin of the old chip from the board and connect it to
> VDD (3.3V). Solder the new chip (with the correct BIOS image) on top of
> the old chip, but connect ID2 of that chip to ground. Once that is done,
> the machine should boot normally. After booting, you'll have to modify
> flashrom to target the old chip or you'll simply overwrite the new chip
> which would be rather undesiarable.

I've just done some reading, that should do the trick. Except
according to the datasheet you should use ID3 for this not ID2,
essentially the ID pins control where in the 8M of space the contents
of the chip gets mapped, by using ID3 you can flip your 4M ROM between
the top and the bottom of the address range, as I say I've not looked
too deeply into LPC but my reading of the datasheet suggests that if
you use ID2 you will end up with half of your two ROMs overlapping.