[coreboot] Coreboot build query

Morgan Reed morgan.s.reed at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 16:51:49 CEST 2009

Hi all,

      I recently picked up a VIA-MII10000 mini-ITX board I'm planning
to use as a NAS device, but research has shown that the board is
incapable of booting off the onboard CF slot using VIA BIOSes and
further research lead me to coreboot as a possible solution.

Searching around lead me to this tutorial;
<http://www.coreboot.org/VIA_EPIA-M>

I'm working with a 4Mbit Flash ROM (because I happened to have a tube
of them on hand), I've backed up my BIOS to disk and to a second Flash
chip so I'm now up to the point of actually building the ROM image.

Everything in the tutorial works fine up until Step 5 when I actually
attempt to build the ROM image, I'm using a modified version of the
Config.vga.filo from SVN, I've modified it to change the ROM_SIZE to
512*1024 and I've adjusted the path to the payload to point to the
location where I'm storing my filo.elf.

I'm getting coreboot.rom out after I run make but it's 524288b
(512kB/4Mb) so there is no room to add the VGA BIOS in (as extracted
per the Tutorial), is it still necessary to do this or is it just a
matter of the age of the tutorial? (I also did an xxd coreboot.rom |
head and xxd coreboot.rom | tail but there appears to be "real" data
at both ends of the file so I can't just "insert" the VGA BIOS) If it
is still necessary, how do I go about doing it?

Working with current HEAD (rev 4347) from the coreboot-v2 repository.

Thanks,

Morgan