[coreboot] LGPL vgabios on real hardware

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Mon Jun 1 05:03:58 CEST 2009

I've completed the porting and refactoring of the LGPL vgabios.  I'm
looking for developers interested in reviewing the code and trying to
port it to real hardware.

The port to gcc consists of the basic VGA support.  The new code is
almost entirely written in C - there is only about 50 lines of
assembler specific to VGA (for the entry functions).

I've also refactored the code significantly.  The new code has been
split into several files - mostly by whether it implemented bios
functionality, framebuffer manipulation, or IO port setting.  I've
also simplified the code and eliminated many redundancies.

To obtain the code and compile an option rom, run:

git clone git://git.linuxtogo.org/home/kevin/seabios.git
cd seabios
make out/vgabios.bin

The code specific to vga is in the directory seabios/vgasrc/ .

I've done some basic sanity tests with qemu.  More testing is needed,
but I think it's ready for a wider audience.

-Kevin