[coreboot] Dual flash chip mod

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Wed Jul 29 17:06:09 CEST 2009

Ivan Barrera A. wrote:
>>> The other option would be putting inside 2 flash chips, and an
>>> external switch to enable one or the other.
>
> The System Reports a SST 49LF004A , while it is really a SST
> 49LF004B (4mbit / 512KB).

Ok. If there is physical room for another chip inside the machine you
can just connect all important signals across (maybe 10 or so), build
a simple transistor switching circuit for the chip select line and
finally run only three wires out of the machine. They can be as long
as you like.

> Flashrom was unable to write on it. So my tests were done using my
> external programmer. ( the netbook saved the day :) )

So how would you reprogram the flash chip inside the machine? Running
wires from the flash chip out of the machine will probably not work.

//Peter