[coreboot] Original bios as payload

Ivan Barrera A. info at Ivn.cl
Wed Jul 29 16:47:55 CEST 2009

>> However, lspci (and the specs) shows that my board is i945.
>> 00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML
>> and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
>> (Mobile Intel® 945 PM Express Chipset + ICH7M)
> Oh, interesting... Then there must be different versions of the Laptop
> with different chipsets out there. This chipset should work.

Yep.
Newer versions (Asus G1s , etc) use updated chipsets. But the "original"
is i945 based.

>>> * Get an Artec LPC Dongle/FlexyICE and a Stuge LPC/PLCC converter.
>>> http://www.coreboot.org/Artecgroup_programmable_LPC_dongle
>>> * Get a USB debug device for console via USB
>>> http://www.coreboot.org/EHCI_Debug_Port
>> Already have a programmer (lpc/fwh/etc)
> That will work.
>
> However, the dongle is not a programmer in the strict sense.. more like
> a memory emulator. you plug it into the bios socket of the target
> machine and can update the bios on it via USB from another machine. This
> is our method of choice for all PLCC based systems during BIOS
> development ..

Oh, i see..
It is kind of expensive (considering i have to ship to my country).
Well.. if i need to get it, ill consider it. Meanwhile, rebooting is not
that awful.

>> Ill try to get the debug device, and try your suggestions.
> Great.. The USB Debug port will replace serial console more and more,
> and is one of the few methods for BIOS debugging on machines where
> there's no serial port. POST cards can be used, but have very limited
> debugging capabilities.

I'll get the tools, and try again when they arrive. I'll keep the list
posted ;)

If more ideas come up, that will be good too.