[coreboot] Original bios as payload

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Wed Jul 29 16:35:23 CEST 2009

Ivan Barrera A. wrote:
>>> Aha...
>>> I did read about SerialICE, but didnt get anywhere because the laptop
>>> doesnt have serial ports. (and havent found one on the board, tho
>>> dmidecode names one)
>>> I'll get some flash chips and keep looking.
>>>
>>> Area the minipci/minipcie diagnostic cards useful with
>>> coreboot/seabios ?
>>>
>>> PS : Perhaps the vgarom doesnt work well because it is a PCIe card.
>> You won't see anything on VGA because the machine's RAM is not working.
>> Which port did you use as a basis for a i965 port? i945? That one comes
>> pretty close, but needs a _lot_ of changes, still, before it would come
>> close to the point where you can start looking at enabling VGA..
>
> Aha.
> However, lspci (and the specs) shows that my board is i945.
> 00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML
> and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
> (Mobile Intel® 945 PM Express Chipset + ICH7M)
Oh, interesting... Then there must be different versions of the Laptop
with different chipsets out there. This chipset should work.

>> * Get an Artec LPC Dongle/FlexyICE and a Stuge LPC/PLCC converter.
>> http://www.coreboot.org/Artecgroup_programmable_LPC_dongle
>> * Get a USB debug device for console via USB
>> http://www.coreboot.org/EHCI_Debug_Port
>
> Already have a programmer (lpc/fwh/etc)
That will work.

However, the dongle is not a programmer in the strict sense.. more like
a memory emulator. you plug it into the bios socket of the target
machine and can update the bios on it via USB from another machine. This
is our method of choice for all PLCC based systems during BIOS
development ..

> Ill try to get the debug device, and try your suggestions.
Great.. The USB Debug port will replace serial console more and more,
and is one of the few methods for BIOS debugging on machines where
there's no serial port. POST cards can be used, but have very limited
debugging capabilities.

Stefan

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613