[coreboot] Original bios as payload

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Wed Jul 29 16:14:22 CEST 2009

Ivan Barrera A. wrote:
> Patrick Georgi escribió:
>> Ivan Barrera A. schrieb:
>>>   Is it possible ? Or, do you have any other sugestions to keep
>>> trying ?
>> SerialICE might be an option:
>> http://www.coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot-announce/2009-June/000002.html
>>

>> That way, the chip only has to be flashed once (at least until serialice
>> works enough, but that's a much smaller problem to solve than getting
>> coreboot to run), and then you can run coreboot or the vendor's BIOS
>> from your host system, and even look at what they do.
>>
>> Downside: it requires a serial port (though adding EHCI debug port
>> support or something like that should be feasible - but "adding"
>> requires some effort).
>
> Aha...
> I did read about SerialICE, but didnt get anywhere because the laptop
> doesnt have serial ports. (and havent found one on the board, tho
> dmidecode names one)
> I'll get some flash chips and keep looking.
>
> Area the minipci/minipcie diagnostic cards useful with coreboot/seabios ?
>
> PS : Perhaps the vgarom doesnt work well because it is a PCIe card.
You won't see anything on VGA because the machine's RAM is not working.
Which port did you use as a basis for a i965 port? i945? That one comes
pretty close, but needs a _lot_ of changes, still, before it would come
close to the point where you can start looking at enabling VGA..

If you want to experiment with supporting the i965 chipset, I suggest
you do the following:

* Get a i965 based desktop board first and get that running.
* Get an Artec LPC Dongle/FlexyICE and a Stuge LPC/PLCC converter.
http://www.coreboot.org/Artecgroup_programmable_LPC_dongle
* Get a USB debug device for console via USB
http://www.coreboot.org/EHCI_Debug_Port

Best regards,
Stefan

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613