[coreboot] Original bios as payload

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Wed Jul 29 15:47:51 CEST 2009

On 29.07.2009 15:36, Ivan Barrera A. wrote:
> My previous attemps to put coreboot on my laptop (Asus G1, with vgarom
> on bios) have failed.
> I want to keep trying to get something to work but it is a real pain
> in the behind to keep taking out the flash chip and reprogramming it.
> I think it could be easier to have coreboot booting the original bios
> , and run any other payload on some key press (or something like
> that). That way, i could keep flashing new code to try, and in case it
> doesnt work just boot the orig. bios and reflash. (this is asuming
> coreboot gets to run)
>
> Is it possible ?

Short answer: No, this is not possible.

Long answer: Yes, something like this is possible, but you will have to
modify the original BIOS and coreboot and rewrite parts of them. Since
you have no sources for the original BIOS, this will be pretty
difficult. Basically, neither coreboot nor the original BIOS expect to
have a switcher run before them. That switcher would have to preserve
the environment completely and not violate any coreboot/BIOS
expectations. I wouldn't even try to do it without a bootle of aspirin
and sources for the BIOS. If you decide to try it, good luck!

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--
http://www.hailfinger.org/