[coreboot] option rom size problem

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Mon Jul 20 18:48:20 CEST 2009

On 20.07.2009 17:54, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> On 20.07.2009 17:40 Uhr, Jason Wang wrote:
>
>>    Since i am working with adding libpayload usb stack to option rom,
>> i have been blocked with the usb_initialize function. I find that the
>> size of libpayload is 104K, but the max size of option rom is oxff *
>> 512bytes. which means 127.5K.
>> I am afraid our option rom can not works fine with usb stack properly.
>> Is there any other method for us to expand the rom size?
>>

> I think only those parts of libpayload that are actually used are
> getting linked into the final binary,  since the objects are packed into
> an "ar" archive. Do you exceed the rom size with libpayload and your
> code already, or is this rather a theoretical issue?

If you really exceed the allowed size, the problem is not only option
rom size but also where in RAM you can place that much code.
Compression can help if you have enough free RAM to place that option
ROM somewhere.

Where does the option ROM end up? Below 1M?

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--
http://www.hailfinger.org/