[coreboot] coreboot on Asus G1 ... Possible ?

Ivan Barrera A. info at Ivn.cl
Fri Jul 3 17:11:20 CEST 2009

Peter Stuge escribió:
> Cristi Magherusan wrote:
>> I think this could be a good testcase for SerialICE
>> What do you think?
>
> I think it's difficult to use SerialICE without a serial port. :\

Well... instead of keep trying to find a way to mentally use a serial
port, ive decided this weekend to just give it a try.

Im compiling coreboot-v2 using FILO as a payload, and, integrating the
video blob (rom) that ive got before. (and i was tinkering with).

1 weird thing :

  after compiling coreboot-v2 (rev 4397) , the make file in
coreboot-v2/targets/kontron/986lcd-m/kontron_986lcd_m
incorrectly had ./cbfs/cbfstool ./coreboot.rom add-payload
../payload.elf fallback/payload $(CBFS_COMPRESS_FLAG)
(../payload.elf) in line 43. This made make complain about
../payload.elf beign an unknown target, and if put it there, cbfstool
complained about not finding it. Just replaced with ./payload.elf.

I'll be tinkering with the dsdt.asl , to see if i can get my own for my
laptop now.

Tomorrow (or the day after) i'll be opening my laptop yet again for
cleaning. i'll let you know if i killed the laptop.. if it did
something... or if it did nothing, but still looked cool :D

PS: I think (just think) it shoulndt matter if im using the laptop
screen (lvds) or external monitor (dvi/vga) right ? or should i use only
the lvds screen ?
PS1: In the event that coreboot loads, and filo does get executed but no
screen or there is no visible sign of "work"... what could be a good
idea to try ? (added some specs in the end of this mail)
PS2: The SST 49LF004B is 4mbit (512KB). How can i know what is the max
size and type of chip i can put on it ? ive seen someone using a SST
49LF160C on a motherboard that also used the 49LF004B.

My laptop has the following put on :

- 4GB Ram = 2x2GB same brand,speed,timings. Also have to test 2X512MB
same everything.
- SSD Disk on Sata port 1.
- Cdrom unit on Ide port 1.
- Compact flash adapter on pcmcia port
- PCI sd/mmc reader (ricoh)
- Integrated r8169 network card.
- Integrated modem (dont know which.. never used it)
- lots of extra leds.
- USB ports... i have Lots of USB adapters.. serial, parallel (only
printer mode), eth, bluetooth (integrated), oled display (integrated), etc.

   Ive contacted the vendor (Asus) many times before on the issue of
bios recovery. They are not helpful on anything beside windows/software
problems. (more than that... they havent been able to tell me how to
access the bootblock on my bios, because some asus-media feature kicks
in first)