[coreboot] coreboot on Dell c600

Corey Osgood corey.osgood at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 02:24:28 CET 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 5:01 PM, palito @ o2. pl <palito at o2.pl> wrote:

> I am thinking about implanting coreboot on my c600 laptop. Would it be
> possible?

A little googling tells me it's a 440bx (or more likely 440mx) chipset,
which is very well supported in v2. However, with laptops there are still a
couple other problems:

* Flash: Is the BIOS flash chip soldered on or socketed? If it's soldered
on, do you have the skills/equipment to install a socket? You'll want to
have a spare flash chip to do your coreboot port on.
* Embedded controller: Your laptop probably has one, and usually the only
way to find it is to pull the laptop apart and look for the chip. You would
also have to check that the datasheets are publicly available, or request
and NDA from the manufacturer.

-Corey