[coreboot] issues with seabios on the m2a-vm

Myles Watson mylesgw at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 21:18:45 CET 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 11:53 AM, Ward Vandewege <ward at gnu.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 09:06:01PM -0500, Kevin O'Connor wrote:
>> > The patch you sent assumed one GB of ram, right? I reduced the amount of ram
>> > in the system to 1GB.
>>
>> Oh, you don't need to reduce memory.  Ideally, one would change the
>> value in tables.c to reflect the top of memory for the machine, but
>> even that isn't strictly necessary.
>
> Right, it was just easier this way.
>
>> >The patch does not appear to help.
>>
>> The patch didn't take:
>
> Yeah, I don't know what I did - but I sure didn't patch the right tree.
>
> Here are logs where the patch *did* get applied.
>
> With menu enabled:
>
>  http://ward.vandewege.net/coreboot/m2a-vm/m2a-vm-menu-with-cb-and-seabios-patch.cap
>
> With menu disabled:
>
>  http://ward.vandewege.net/coreboot/m2a-vm/m2a-vm-no-menu-with-cb-and-seabios-patch.cap

In the logs it looks like you're having coreboot run the VGA ROM.  I
had to disable that to get mine to work.

option CONFIG_CONSOLE_VGA=1
option CONFIG_PCI_ROM_RUN=0
option CONFIG_VGA_ROM_RUN=0

If you set CONFIG_CONSOLE_VGA=0 the VGA bits in the bridges don't get
set, but then you have to specifically tell it not to run the ROM.

Hopefully that helps.

Thanks,
Myles