[coreboot] [RFC] More generic targets with C preprocessor token concatenation

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 17:19:00 CET 2009

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 4:30 AM, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger
<c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> wrote:

> -struct mainboard_amd_dbm690t_config
> +struct MAINBOARD_PREFIX##_config

Here is the problem: now I don't know the name of that structure when
I browse it; and, once again, this kind of trickery can trick me, but
it is also unfriendly to source code analysis tools, which don't
always pick these subtleties up. What happens with doxygen? What do
the data structure graphs look like?

I realize this sort of thing is become more and more accepted in the
GNU universe (just look at glibc!), so call me old-fashioned, but I
feel a structure name should be a structure name, such that people
don't need to indirect (i.e. grep) to go find out what it really is. I
haven't found this kind of batch rename to be a huge issue,
personally.

I'm afraid I don't like the patch. :-)

I'd like us to optimize, if anything, for code that is amenable to
computer-assisted analysis. I was quite amazed to find out just how
much (once again) e.g. glibc frustrates tools designed to analyze
programs. We should be careful about going that route.

thanks

ron