[coreboot] Gigabyte M57SLI-S4 PCI-Initialisation Problems

Harald Gutmann harald.gutmann at gmx.net
Sun Feb 8 18:18:55 CET 2009

Hi Florentin,
thanks for your answer, that and Peter Stuge helped me a lot to get further
informations on that problem.

First, to describe what i did:
Build coreboot from buildrom devel with a filo payload, flashed it and bootet
coreboot on the gigabyte m57sli v2.
After that i wrote that little piece of software you described  in that mail
in point -2). (source below.)

Then i tried to figure out what exactly to do, as you told in point -1).
As i discussed this point with Peter in #coreboot it we/i got to the
conclusion that the value i need to start reading in coreboot was 3c00.
In the proprietary bios it is the value e000.

I hope you can verify that values according to the lspci outputs i append on
the end of the mail.

The result of my testing/work/funny Sunday afternoon is the appended file
data.tar.gz which contains 5x reading the 256bytes with coreboot and 5x the
same from the proprietary bios. Until now i didn't start to compare them.

What makes me a little worried is that the output on the proprietary bios has
much more zero values in it.

Here the outputs/sources which i mentioned above:

#include <sys/io.h>
#include <stdio.h>

int main()
{
        iopl(3); //grant access to all io ports - root privileges needed
/*
        ioperm can only give access from 0x000-0x3ff
        ioperm(start_port, range, 1); //set permissions to have access
        ioperm(start_port, range, 0); //set permissions to remove access
*/

        unsigned char input;
        int count=0;

        FILE *output;
        output = fopen("./io_gpio-data", "w");

        for(count=0; count <=255; count++){
                input = inb(0xe000+count);	//starting value for the
proprietary bios
                fputc(input, output);
        }

        fclose(output);
        iopl(0); //remove access to io ports
}

//on the proprietary bios:
benchvice:/home/hargut/coreboot-stuff# lspci -vvv -s 00:01.1
00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SMBus (rev a2)
        Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology Device 0c11
        Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
        Kernel driver in use: nForce2_smbus
        Kernel modules: i2c-nforce2

//on running coreboot
lspci -v -xxx -s 00:01.1
00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SMBus (rev a2)
        Subsystem: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Device 2b80
        Flags: 66MHz, fast devsel, IRQ 10
        I/O ports at 3c00 [size=64]
        I/O ports at 3c40 [size=64]
        I/O ports at 3c80 [size=64]