[coreboot] Development IDE

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Tue Aug 25 09:10:06 CEST 2009

On 24.08.2009 22:45, Harald Gutmann wrote:
> On Monday 24 August 2009 22:36:35 Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
>
>> On 24.08.2009 19:02, congedete at voila.fr wrote:
>>
>>> I wanted to know which development IDE do you use to develop coreboot:
>>> Eclipse, Netbeans ... I can't find anything, any project under Eclipse or
>>> any other IDE.
>>>
>> I use vim and grep. There is no IDE for coreboot development.
>>
> Interesting, but do you use any extensions for vim?
> I really love vim, and use it for all kinds of text modification. :)
>
> Some time ago I came across this article:
> http://www.swaroopch.com/notes/Vim_en:Programmers_Editor
> and some things in there are really useful to use vim as IDE.

IMHO a few bits of advice on that page encourage writing mediocre code
(like focusing on typing speed instead of thinking), but making up for
it with sheer size. Then again, this is probably a cultural thing.

The only "special" vim features I use are syntax highlighting (always)
and bracket bouncing (rarely). Autoindent is off.
Each helper tool is run in a separate window, usually even on a
different virtual desktop. I usually use 3-4 virtual desktops for
development, each with another window open at the same time.
Ctrl-Alt-Arrow for moving between virtual desktops in a 4x2 grid. Top
row of desktops is for development, bottom row is for communication
(web, mail, IRC). The exact window layout differs depending on the task
(code/datasheet cross-checking, writing new generic code, writing new
chip-specific code, or changing the architecture of some code). Window
manager is fvwm2.
ctags/cscope are nice, but I hardly ever need them outside orientation
phases (and during orientation phases I usually read _all_ related code
to avoid using ctags/cscope later). While using ctags/cscope can be a
great timesaver, it is often even faster if you don't need them at all.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--
http://www.hailfinger.org/