[coreboot] vga not working

Myles Watson mylesgw at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 18:12:23 CEST 2009

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 9:51 AM, ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 8:28 AM, Myles Watson<mylesgw at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The correct way to do this is to add the functionality to the chipset
> init
> > function.  It should check the bit that was set in the device structure
> and
> > write the correct thing to the PCI configuration space.
>
> How about we go through this step by step, and then Arnaud gets stuck
> with writing up what we figure out.

Yes.  I'm frequently guilty of skipping steps.

> So, Arnaud, tell me more. I'm utterly ignorant of the chipset here.
>
> As I learn more, we can fill this out and, hopefully, have something
> others can use later to know what to do.
>
> (calling from auto.c is bad form :-)
>
> What chipset needs to have a config register setting done?
> (assuming you don't know what to do from IRC already :-)

Setting up VGA for PCI: 07:00.0
Setting PCI_BRIDGE_CTL_VGA for bridge PCI: 03:04.0
Setting PCI_BRIDGE_CTL_VGA for bridge PCI: 02:00.0
Setting PCI_BRIDGE_CTL_VGA for bridge PCI: 00:03.0
Setting PCI_BRIDGE_CTL_VGA for bridge PCI_DOMAIN: 0000
Setting PCI_BRIDGE_CTL_VGA for bridge Root Device
Allocating resources...

For me the steps would be:
1. Make sure that the device that needs the config writes is in the above
list.

2. Add code like this:
     if (dev->link[link].bridge_ctrl & PCI_BRIDGE_CTL_VGA) {
          /* Add your code from auto.c here */
     }
to the .init function of the bridge.

For example, assuming that the i3100 PCIe port needs the configuration, I
would add the code in:

src/northbridge/intel/i3100/pciexp_porta.c

In the existing pcie_init function.

Thanks,
Myles