[coreboot] option rom progress and some issues

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Thu Aug 13 01:24:47 CEST 2009

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 02:22:05AM +0800, Jason Wang wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 9:17 PM, Kevin O'Connor <kevin at koconnor.net> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 03:29:06PM +0800, Jason Wang wrote:
> > > Hi Kevin,
> > >     The Seabios try to booting usbrom with IPL_TYPE_BEV, which i think
> > > should use IPL_TYPE_HARDDISK, right? Followed by BIOS BOOT Specification
> > > I think it can add
> > > #define IPL_TYPE_USBROM 0x05 to support BCV, how do you think about that?
> >
> > SeaBIOS is overloading those flags, and I agree it's confusing.  The
> > flags for BCV tables are only used in run_bcv(), add_bcv(), and
> > add_bcv_hd().  It's not necessary to add a new flag.
>
> I find that handle_19, do_boot only seek the BEV devices

That is correct.

The BEVs are the ways one can boot the machine and the BCVs are the
drives in the machine.

SeaBIOS has a BEV for booting off of a drive (see boot_disk()).  You
should not add a new way to boot from a drive - instead you want to
add a new drive.

The BCV list is executed during post (see boot_prep()).  SeaBIOS will
call all the optionroms that have BCVs and they can then hook int13.
Once int13 has been properly hooked, the existing SeaBIOS drive
booting code will work.

-Kevin