[coreboot] Problem jumping to Boot Loader

Jeffrey C. Jacobs jacobs at itd.nrl.navy.mil
Thu Aug 6 17:53:52 CEST 2009

Patrick et al.,

Thanks again for the help and advice.  Rudolf, I may try to look into
your solution since I too am trying to boot off an ext3fs system but
Patrick you have been a great help so far.  I don't as a rule manually
edit .config scripts, they're just convenient for reviewing settings.
Actually, I used "make menuconfig", which is what is suggested in the
FILO README, but that did not seem to generate build/config.h correctly
so I tried the basic "make config" as you suggested and that seems to
have generated the correct build.

So I loaded up my CoreBoot+FILO payload and booted and got the result
listed in: http://coreboot.pastebin.com/f432f39bc

Now, with all those ANSI Escape Codes, I tried to clean up the last bit
which has my FILO prompt and output: http://coreboot.pastebin.com/f7cb33b5

It's probably so busy because I have all the debugging output turned on.
  All that said, the bad news is that I still can't boot and it looks
like it still doesn't recognize my hard drive.  I've highlighted a few
lines that I think may be relevant.  Firstly, we have:

ERROR: No such CMOS option (boot_devices)
menu: hda1:/boot/filo/menu.lst

I guess we can safely ignore the first line since we've not AFAICT
entered the IDE probe yet and the second line just reiterates the
menu.lst location.

There follows a series of probes of memory addresses which are mostly
uneventful.  The exception is a failure to access the bridge at 01:09.00:

Misconfigured bridge at 01:09.00 skipped.

It seems to reprint this each time it tries to scan that memory area.
I'm not sure what this represents, but I guess it's okay to ignore for
the time being.

Finally, we have a better description of my error:

found PCI IDE controller 8086:24cb prog_if=0x8a
primary channel: compatibility mode
skipping 0 native PCI controllers, new index=0
cmd_base=0x1f0 ctrl_base=0x3f4
init_controller: drive 0
Detected floating bus
No drive detected on IDE channel 0
Failed to open IDE.
dev=hda1, path=/boot/filo/menu.lst
Drive 0 does not exist
Failed to open IDE.
Could not open menu.lst file 'hda1:/boot/filo/menu.lst'. Entering
command line.

So I get this "No drive detected on IDE channel 0", which implies to me
it's something lower-level that the file system.

So, does anyone have any better idea, given this new information, why
this version of FILO can't detect my hard drive?

Thanks in Advance!

Jeffrey.