[coreboot] OPTIONROM_MEM settings problem

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Fri Apr 17 02:52:57 CEST 2009

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 11:35:56AM -0600, Myles Watson wrote:
> I have two sizes of flash chips because I have a BIOS savior.  My 512K
> chip works fine, but my 1M chip doesn't.
>
> Here's my setting from config.h
>
> // When option roms are not pre-deployed, SeaBIOS can copy an optionrom
> // from flash for up to 2 devices.
> #define OPTIONROM_VENDEV_1 0x47521002
> #define OPTIONROM_MEM_1 0xfff00000 /* 512K uses 0xfff80000 */

Looks like you have that backwards.  If "lspci -vnn" reports 1002:4752
then you should set OPTIONROM_VENDEV_1 to "0x10024752".

> Notice the byte at 35b0.  I checked to make sure that the 1M version
> is the one in the 1M chip, but it won't work unless I put the video
> BIOS at fff80000.  I put it in both places with dd since there was
> plenty of space, but I couldn't see a reason why it isn't working.
>
> Do you have any debugging suggestions?

I committed a couple of more debug statements to the option rom scan.
Can you do a "git pull", set the debug level to 6, and provide the
output?

> PS I think a comment about the order of OPTIONROM_VENDEV_* would be
> helpful, since it is device then vendor ID.  I know it matches the
> hardware, but I got it wrong the first time.

I advise anyone using SeaBIOS to go over to CBFS.  Having to recompile
SeaBIOS just to use an option rom is a real chore.  With CBFS that
should be a thing of the past.

-Kevin