[coreboot] proposed patch to src/lib/console.c

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 19:28:04 CEST 2009

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 10:24 AM, Peter Stuge <peter at stuge.se> wrote:
> ron minnich wrote:
>> calling console output functions BEFORE console_init is called is
>> an error. This kind of band-aid covers up an error in code, but
>> does not fix it.
>
> I'm in favor, but it could maybe become more complicated when looking
> at several different console types, because they can only be
> initialized at different points during startup.

right, but that's not how the code works. Basically, as written, the
code assumes that no console output is possible
before console_init is called, and it assumes that all output is
possible after console_init is called.

Hence, if people follow the simple rule: don't call these before
console_init, and it's ok to call them after console_init, we can
remove the bandaid and make this code usable in CAR.

ron