[coreboot] PCI roms stored via device/vendor or bus/dev/fn?

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Sun Apr 12 06:34:43 CEST 2009

Hi,

As part of adding SeaBIOS support for CBFS, I moved SeaBIOS from
searching flash for roms by bus/dev/fn (bdf) to searching by
device/vendor.

So, instead of setting:

#define OPTIONROM_BDF_1 pci_to_bdf(0x01, 0x00, 0)

one would now set:

#define OPTIONROM_VENDEV_1 0x11063344

(for a device that lspci reports as 1106:3344).

When using gpxe on my epia-cn, I set it up to use the vendor/device of
the realtek nics on the motherboard.  However, this motherboard has
two rtl nics - and thus the option roms are getting run twice.  This
doesn't seem ideal as it consumes option rom space and slows the
bootup (because gpxe prompts the user twice).

What's the main advantage to using vendor/device?

-Kevin