[coreboot] #100: flashrom: Change start/end -s and -e to -S and -E, and change erase -E to -e.

coreboot svn at coreboot.org
Sat Apr 11 16:26:48 CEST 2009

#100: flashrom: Change start/end -s and -e to -S and -E, and change erase -E to
-e.
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
    Reporter:  stuge     |         Owner:  somebody
        Type:  defect    |        Status:  reopened
   Component:  flashrom  |       Version:
  Resolution:            |      Keywords:  usability cli options
Dependencies:            |   Patchstatus:  there is no patch
-------------------------+--------------------------------------------------
Changes (by stuge):

  * status:  closed => reopened
  * type:  enhancement => defect
  * resolution:  duplicate =>
  * milestone:  flashrom v1.1 => flashrom v1.0

Comment:

 Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
 > - The short command lines switches have no decided upon capitalization.
 ..
 > We can either say "screw users, they should read the man page every
 > time they update" or we decide user interface questions now.

 This is tricky. There are already users which know and use the existing
 user interface.
 There are good reasons for changing option capitalization.
 And there are good reasons both for doing it before 1.0 and for waiting
 until after 1.0.

 We should try to pick the lesser evil of course, and also make sure to
 provide prominent notices in release announcement, README and man page
 when we change any of the existing options. Reopening for more discussion.

--
Ticket URL: <http://tracker.coreboot.org/trac/coreboot/ticket/100#comment:3>
coreboot <http://www.coreboot.org/>