[coreboot] Boot order? [Was: Convert Assembly JMP to C]

Jake Peavy djstunks at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 17:57:35 CEST 2008

On 9/11/08, Joseph Smith <joe at settoplinux.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 23:53:04 +0200, Peter Stuge <peter at stuge.se> wrote:
> > Joseph Smith wrote:
> >> My JMP question is about copying a drives mbr to memory 0x7c00 and
> >> or 0x0600 at 512 byte blocks.
> > ..
> >> What do you think?
> >
> > I think you should just use SeaBIOS.
> >

> Nope. This will be a autoboot_mbr option of FILO. Here is how it will work:
>
> It will comb through each drive and attempt to boot the first drive with a
> valid mbr signature bit (0xAA55). Maybe a slight delay for user
> intervention, and then boot boot the drive based on the info in the mbr.

So, let me just expose my ignorance here, does Coreboot provide an interface
like a traditional, proprietary BIOS which allows the user to configure
different settings?  Settings like boot order?  Because I guess I don't
understand the purpose behind the whole discussion.

I would have expected Coreboot to work it's way down a prioritized list
looking for boot media (MBR in x86).  Is it accurate to replace the words
"boot media" above with "payload"?  Is MBR code (be it FILO, GRUB, whatever
Windows' bootloader is called) a payload?

TIA,

--
-jp

I wish I had a Kryptonite cross, because then you could keep both Dracula
AND Superman away.

deepthoughtsbyjackhandy.com