[coreboot] Convert Assembly JMP to C

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Fri Sep 12 01:09:36 CEST 2008

Joseph Smith wrote:
> Would eithor of you care to put a wager on the fact I bet I can get
> to the GRUB menu based on the MBR's data without using any kind of
> real mode interrupt handler with FILO???

I am not interested.

You will certainly not come anywhere near GRUB stage 1.5 without some
number of real mode BIOS interrupts.

If you don't use any GRUB code but only FILO code you can certainly
try to find GRUB's menu.lst by emulating what GRUB stage 1 does, but
because device names are assigned differently in BIOS (which is the
abstraction used by GRUB) and FILO, the file is useless unless it is
adjusted for FILO's device names. (Then it becomes useless for GRUB
of course.)

This is pointless. But let's talk that new boot spec.

//Peter