[coreboot] GA-M57SLI-S4 is AMD Phenom x4 compatible

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Wed Sep 10 11:14:27 CEST 2008

David Englund wrote:
> All these references says that GA-M57SLI-S4 "Supports AMD Phenom X4/
> Phenom X3 processors*" but
>
> http://www.coreboot.org/Supported_Motherboards only list "AMD Sempron??? /
> Athlon??? 64 / FX / X2" under "CPU" for "???GA-M57SLI-S4".
>
> Why is that so?

K8/Fam10 CPU support is not unified in coreboot v2, and because the
m57sli target in coreboot was created before Fam10 was available,
coreboot on m57sli only supports K8.

> Will you add AMD Phenom X3, AMD Phenom X4 as suggested?

The code to support Fam10 CPUs is already in coreboot, but no target
for the m57sli uses it. It is certainly possible to create a new
m57sli target for Fam10 CPUs however.

Since the board is now EOL I don't think we will do it, but any
efforts are welcome.

For v3 I hope we can unify K8 and Fam10, which would mean that a v3
port for the m57sli will indeed support all CPUs that are compatible,
but such a port is still some time in the future. v3, although 2
years old, is still a baby.

//Peter