[coreboot] Multiboot support

Robert Millan rmh at aybabtu.com
Tue Sep 9 21:26:11 CEST 2008

On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 08:00:53PM +0200, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:

> Sorry, that won't fly. The official Multiboot spec at
> http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/multiboot/multiboot.html lacks
> quite a few things needed by the OS and supported by coreboot tables.

So if I show you working code that proves your statement wrong, I assume
you'd have no objection?

> That means the concerns about size are valid and the proposed way to fix
> them won't work.

I believe I can implement a loader whose size is reasonably small.  But again,
I'd rather back that up with code than expect to be blindly trusted.

> What advantages does Multiboot have over storing the parsed kernel in
> the LAR? Will Multiboot make SELF obsolete before it's even introduced?
> How about the ELF loader already in coreboot v3?

I think you're confusing Multiboot with an executable file format, like ELF,
but it's mostly orthogonal to that.  In fact, Multiboot is commonly used in
combination with ELF.

And I don't know what SELF is, but I don't pretend to obsolete anything, just
want to provide users with an option.

--
Robert Millan